+1 780 756 4354 (office)
+44 (0)116 318 3840 (rings to Skype)
Ph.D. in Education Research (expected 2016)
University of Leicester
M.Ed. in Distance Education (2002)
Advanced Graduate Diploma in Distance Education (Technology) (1999)
Certificate in Adult and Continuing Education (1999)
University of Alberta
Bachelor of Administration (1992)
I am currently on a Ph.D. programme, researching how security professionals use online (virtual) communities for informal, work-related learning. After completing 20 online and telephone interviews after the exploratory study, I am analysing and reporting on the results.
- Ratcliffe, A.E. (2014, June). An exploratory study of the personal learning environments of security and investigation professionals. Journal of Literacy and Technology, 15(2). Available at http://www.literacyandtechnology.org/volume-15-number-2-june-2014.html
- Ratcliffe, A.E. (2014, August 27). Security professionals and informal work-related learning in online (virtual) communities. Paper presented at the Personalised Learning Environments Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Ratcliffe, A.E. (2014, June 25). An interpretive description study of security professionals in online communities. Poster presented at the Advances in Qualitative Methods Conference, Edmonton, Canada.
- Ratcliffe, A.E. (2013, July 11). Use of personal learning environments by security and investigation professionals. Paper presented at the Personal Learning Environment Conference, Berlin, Germany.
- Ratcliffe, A.E. (2013, February 13). My APG oral examination: The process experienced. Online presentation for the Beyond Distance Research Alliance, University of Leicester.
- Ratcliffe, A.E. (2012, June 9). Microblogging (#PhdChat) within a personal learning environment. Presented at Research in Distance Education Symposium, Athabasca University, Edmonton, Canada.
- Padilla Rodriguez, B. C., Auer, N., Ratcliffe, A.E. & Ewing, A. (2011, April). PhD students following the sun: How PhD students use and perceive technologies. Presented at Learning Futures Festival Online 2011: Follow the Sun, hosted by Beyond Distance Research Alliance of the University of Leicester and the Australian Digital Futures Institute of Southern Queensland University.
- Emergency Planning for Industry (online)
- Emergency Planning and Response
- Emergency Management
- Managing Investigations (online)
- Security Programs and Risk Management
- Loss Prevention Programs Management
- Security Science
- Policing in Canada
- Field Placement (coordinator)
- Integration Seminar (some online discussions)
- Facilitating Through Learning Journals (online workshop)
- Tim Byrne Memorial Scholarship, Athabasca University, in 2003, “awarded annually to the student in the project/thesis route of the Master of Distance Education degree program who presents a combination of academic excellence with his or her outstanding thesis/project.”
- Alberta Heritage Scholarship for Graduate Studies, Government of Alberta, in 1999: “Selection is by the appropriate graduate program council based on overall academic achievement in the previous year of study.”
- Athabasca University Governing Council Bachelor of Administration Scholarship, 1992: “Awarded annually to the graduating student with the highest grade point average in Athabasca University credits.”
- Certified Investigator/Inspector, Council on Licensure, Enforcement and Regulation
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Professional Manager (P.Mgr.), Canadian Institute of management
- Certified in Management (C.I.M.), Canadian Institute of Management
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU), The Institute for Advanced Financial Education
- Certified Health Insurance Specialist (CHS), The Institute for Advanced Financial Education